Sting Joins the Cast of His Broadway Musical The Last Ship

first_img About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home. Welcome aboard! 16-time Grammy winner Sting begins performances in The Last Ship—featuring a score by the rock legend—on December 9. He steps into the role of Jackie White, replacing Jimmy Nail at the Neil Simon Theatre through January 10, 2015. To celebrate, Broadway.com Resident Artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson sketched this gorgeous portrait of the Grammy winner setting sail. Congratulations, Sting! Featuring a book by John Logan and Brian Yorkey and directed by Joe Mantello, The Last Ship is inspired by Sting’s own childhood experiences and his album of the same name. It is set in an English seafaring town that operates around the local shipyard and follows Gideon Fletcher, a man who left home to see the world and returns fourteen years later to find that the future of the shipyard is in danger. View Comments The cast also includes Broadway favorites Michael Esper and Aaron Lazar, Rachel Tucker, Fred Applegate, Sally Ann Triplett and Collin Kelly-Sordelet.center_img Related Shows The Last Ship Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 24, 2015last_img read more

Trick or Trot

first_imgRunning shoes make the perfect addition to Halloween costumes as far as Colquitt County 4-H’ers are concerned. The county’s University of Georgia Extension 4-H program will hold their second annual Trick or Trot 5K race and 1-mile Monster Dash on Saturday, Oct. 25, at the Willie J. Williams Middle School gym, located at 950 4th St. SW, beginning at 5:30 p.m. Runners will race through the recreation department’s bike trail sporting their best Halloween apparel. All proceeds from the Trick or Trot go toward local 4-H events. Last year, the event raised $2,000. A portion of those proceeds was used to provide summer camp scholarships to two 4-H members. “Summer camp is an experience that you never forget,” said Zona Medley, Colquitt County’s Extension 4-H agent. “Some of our students may never get out of the city of Moultrie, much less go to a beach camp or go to Rock Eagle. That’s the case for the majority of the students that we manage to work with in our program. We try to defray as much of the cost as we can.”Colquitt County 4-H decreased the cost of summer camp for all attendants by putting money towards the total camp cost. Along with paying for summer camp, the money raised from Trick or Trot is used to buy educational supplies, incentives and to fund in-school educational programs.“I’d love for it (the proceeds) to be higher this year,” Medley said. “Last year was new ground for us, but we were very pleased.”Medley hopes to increase profits to at least $3,000 in order to send more local students to summer camp. Despite the rainy weather last year, the event had 35 community sponsors, 70 runners and 26 volunteers. “Hopefully we’ll have more runners, even though we were really pleased with our turnout last year,” Medley said. “We were really successful last year, so we are hoping it will build upon itself.”Early registration fees are $20 for the 5K and $12 for the Monster Dash. The fee includes a T-shirt and race bag full of items donated by community sponsors. Registration forms are due by Monday, Oct. 20. Participants can also register at the event starting at 4:30 p.m., but a T-shirt is not guaranteed. The prices for race-day registration are $25 for the 5K and $15 for the Monster Dash.Entry forms are available online and at the Colquitt County Extension office.For more information, email Siara Strickland at slstrick@uga.edu or Zona Medley zonamed@uga.edu or call the Colquitt County 4-H office at (229) 616-7455.(Jordan Hill is an intern with the UGA Tifton Campus)last_img read more

2020 Economy

first_imgThe Georgia agriculture industry is experiencing some positive signs, with Hurricane Michael relief funds being approved for distribution, China reopening its poultry market to Georgia-raised poultry and consumers buying more Georgia-grown products, according to Georgia’s State Fiscal Economist Jeffrey Dorfman.Dorfman, who is also an agricultural economist with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, served as the keynote speaker for the UGA Ag Forecast held Tuesday, Jan. 21 in Macon, Georgia.He reminded the group of Georgia farmers and agricultural industry leaders at the meeting that consumers are now able to search and find value over the Internet.“The best advice I can give you is to brand your product,” he said. “Brand your product with a Georgia Grown logo and you’ll get a premium price for your product and deliver value to consumers.”Georgia Grown is a marketing program managed by the Georgia Department of Agriculture.Dorfman explained that Georgia’s economy is reliant on the economies of other countries because the state has a large export market.“The U.S. manufacturing sector is in a recession, services are growing slowly, but consumer spending is solid,” he said. “Holiday shopping was up 3% to 4%. That is a good sign that consumers aren’t afraid to spend money and use credit cards.”If an economic slowdown does occur, Georgia is in good shape and has enough “wiggle room” to survive, he said.“We won’t have a recession unless something happens in the world that makes everyone panic,” said Dorfman via an Internet feed from his office at the Georgia State Capitol. “More people in Georgia are employed than ever before. Of new plant openings that were projects of the Georgia Department of Economic Development, more than 70% were outside of the Atlanta area. We are growing in Atlanta and outside of Atlanta, spread fairly evenly across the state.”Dorfman said that, unfortunately, it’s hard to keep the economy growing and growing fast. He said Georgia now has $2.8 billion in its “rainy day fund.”“Despite that, we want to be very prudent,” he said. “The governor is focused on making our government more efficient … and creating a better state government with the same or less taxpayer money.”last_img read more

Vattenfall wants to close 1.6GW Moorburg coal plant in Germany

first_imgVattenfall wants to close 1.6GW Moorburg coal plant in Germany FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Clean Energy Wire:Swedish utility Vattenfall wants to shut down its youngest and most efficient coal-fired power plant in Germany because it is unprofitable. After participating in the first hard coal phase-out tender, CEO Magnus Hall said that if his company’s bid is successful, the 1.6 gigawatt Moorburg plant in the city of Hamburg would either partially or entirely cease operations by the middle of next year.Energy company Vattenfall may close down its newest and largest coal-fired power station in Germany, CEO Magnus Hall has told Süddeutsche Zeitung. The coal plant Moorburg in Hamburg, with a capacity of 1.6 gigawatt, only started operations in 2015 after years of struggle with local environmental groups. Hall said that the Moorburg plant had – with parts or its entire capacity – participated in the first tender for a shut-down premium for hard coal-fired power stations, which is part of Germany’s coal exit plan, and would close down operations in the middle of 2021 if its bid is successful.“This was a difficult decision because it is a young and highly efficient power plant,” Hall told Süddeutsche Zeitung. “But if you are losing money with it, you have to do something.”According to Vattenfall, the plant emitted 4.7 million tonnes of CO2 last year and could continue to operate until 2038. But the company’s own target is to stop the use of fossil fuels, including coal, by 2030.This first round of Germany’s hard-coal phase-out tenders is designed to take some 4 gigawatts of capacity off the grid. The results will be announced in December. Under the shut-down scheme, utilities offer a bid for how much money they are willing to stop operations of their plants, taking into account their projected future earnings.The Federal Network Agency (BNetzA) organises the auctions. A spokesperson told Clean Energy Wire that successful bidders in this first round of auction will be prohibited from selling power on the market from January 2021. They will then be prohibited from burning coal from July – the date mentioned by Vattenfall’s Hall.[Kerstine Appunn]More: Vattenfall wants to shut down its largest coal power station in Germanylast_img read more

Harvesting ideas for better futures

first_img 19SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr I watched as the teen dug intently in the soil of The Portland Kitchen’s “Pizza Garden” project, his hands near black with earth. Without looking at me, he held up a perfectly ripened, Calabash tomato and quietly stated that it was for me. I smiled and glanced over at a pair of girls meticulously watering a healthy plot of oregano and rosemary. “What makes the garden so appealing to you guys?” I asked, knowing the kids were really responding to the project. He pulled back to sit on his calves and appeared to lose himself in thought for just a moment.“I’ve never lived anywhere with a yard,” he said and went back to his work. Those words struck a serious chord. I recalled a few of the simple things I’d taken for granted that day – a morning latté, a shower, a drive to work in sweltering heat in the comfort of my air-conditioned vehicle, even breakfast. The kids continued about their gardening, paying little attention to me as I stood there with my thoughts.The Portland Kitchen is an outstanding organization, working day and night to change the lives of low-income and at-risk youth in Portland, Oregon. TPK nurtures successful futures for these kids by teaching culinary techniques, social skills and healthy disciplines “to last a lifetime.” continue reading »last_img read more

Arsene Wenger hints new Arsenal contract has affected Mesut Ozil’s effort

first_imgWenger was speaking after being handed a lifetime achievement award (Picture: Getty)‘And to maintain the value of the player, beyond the Ozil case, it is more about the way football is structured.‘To buy players of top, top quality you need £100m. So the decision you have to make is whether you re-sign the player, who costs us nothing, or do we have the money to buy a new player?’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Comment Arsene Wenger hints new Arsenal contract has affected Mesut Ozil’s effort Advertisement Ozil has regularly not even made the bench, let alone the starting XI recently (Picture: Getty)Wenger was in charge when Ozil signed that contract, which runs until 2021, and he suggested the security of the new deal has affected the German’s effort levels.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘I feel that the length of the contract has nothing to do normally with the selection of the team. But sometimes there are special cases,’ said Wenger at the Laureus World Sports Awards.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘Most of the time now we think when we sign a player for five years we have a good player for five years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that they practice, they play their best. Because they might be in their comfort zone.‘He has a contract but the problem is that if you want to buy a player like him you have to spend £100m.center_img Metro Sport ReporterMonday 18 Feb 2019 11:51 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link731Shares The legendary French boss was in charge of Arsenal when Ozil renewed his deal (Picture: Getty)Arsene Wenger has suggested that Mesut Ozil’s recent struggles are down to falling into a ‘comfort zone’ after signing a new long-term contract with Arsenal.The German has found his first-team opportunities limited in recent months, with new boss Unai Emery only playing him in one of the last seven Premier League matches.Ozil was notably left on the bench despite Arsenal needing a goal against Manchester City at the start of February, even though he is the highest earner in the club’s history. Advertisementlast_img read more

Wärtsilä to deliver dual-fuel engines for Indonesian power plant

first_imgImage courtesy of WärtsiläFinnish technology group Wärtsilä has booked an order to deliver power generating equipment for a 48 MW power plant in Indonesia.The plant, to be operated by the state-owned utility PT PLN, will operate with five Wärtsilä 34DF dual-fuel engines running on diesel fuel initially but will switch to gas when the local gas supply infrastructure is sufficiently developed.The contract has been signed with Norway-based Jacobsen Elektro.The plant is expected to be operational by November 2018, and the Wärtsilä engines are scheduled for delivery in the beginning of the year.When this plant is completed, Wärtsilä engines will be producing more than 4300 MW of electrical output in Indonesia.last_img read more

I’m inspired by Man Utd dream – Ighalo

first_img On the advice he would like to give to any young aspiring footballers, he said: “I would tell the young ones in the world today that they should work hard, believe in themselves and believe in their dreams. They should focus because, with hard work and determination, you can achieve what you want in life. Talent is not enough in football. When you have the talent and you don’t work, it is not enough. Put in the hard work and believe in God, and I think you will have what it takes to achieve your dream.” Ighalo has become an instant hit with the Manchester United fans since joining on loan in January, after scoring four goals in eight appearances and displaying a genuine love for the club. read also:Odion Ighalo: Solskjaer reveals how Nigerian has improved Man United attack Our Nigerian striker displays his obvious passion and emotion during episode one of our new ‘My Inspiration’ series, in which the 30-year-old credits the people and players who have helped him to achieve his dream of playing professional football. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Odion Ighalo has sensationally said he’s inspired by the Manchester United dream and he would like to stay with the team. Loading… “Seeing the club from the outside you don’t know how big it is. But when you are inside you know how big the club is. I am inspired by the way the club is structured, I am inspired by the direction of the club, I am inspired by the development of the young players and how they are coming through from the grassroots to the first team. I am inspired by a lot of things at United, I am really inspired and I am looking forward to spending more time with the team.” According to him, he is not ready to give up on his dream and he will continue to fight to attain his goals. “Well, many people would say he is a gentle guy but inside he is a beast. I am a fighter, I never give up, I go for what I believe I can achieve and I give my best, 100 percent, no matter the outcome of the game, win or lose, I always give 100 percent from the beginning.”Advertisement Promoted Content8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?6 Unusual Facts About Bollywood, Pollywood And TollywoodYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Famous And Incredibly Unique Places In ThailandTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid ArmageddonWhat Our Favorite Celebs Look Like With Their Natural Hair Colorlast_img read more

Cooper steps closer to comeback

first_img Cooper tweeted: “Rode out this morning for the first time since the injury, leg feels 100% been a long three months but hopefully won’t be long until I’m back.” Cooper had set a target of Listowel in September for his return to the racecourse proper, and said that anything before that “would be a bonus”. Cooper has been on the sidelines since a fall from the Tony Martin-trained Tepalo at Down Royal on May 6, when he suffered a broken left femur. One of the emerging stars of the National Hunt scene, Cooper shot into the limelight when riding three winners at the Cheltenham Festival, while he was also on target with First Lieutenant at the Grand National meeting at Aintree. Bryan Cooper moved significantly closer to a return to the saddle when riding work on Friday morning.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Mushfiqur’s gutsy 85 helps Bangladesh avoid follow-on

first_img(REUTERS) – Mushfiqur Rahim’s gutsy 85 helped Bangladesh avoid follow-on but Sri Lanka claimed a substantial 182-run first-innings lead to take control of the first Test at the Galle International Stadium on yesterday.After bad light forced early tea on day three of the contest, Sri Lanka needed two balls to claim the last Bangladesh wicket of Mustafizur Rahman and bowl out the tourists for 312.Sri Lanka could not come out to bat for the second time in the match as almost the entire final session was lost to rain.Resuming day three on 133-2, Bangladesh lost four wickets in the morning session but captain Mushfiqur waged a grim battle against the Sri Lankans.The stumper-batsman joined forces with Mehedi Hasan Shiraz (41) to raise 106 runs for the seventh wicket, only the second 100-plus partnership of the innings, to help them cross the 300-mark.Mushfiqur brought up his 16th Test 50 off 107 balls but fell to rival skipper Rangana Herath who claimed 3-72.Off-spinner Dilruwan Perera also claimed three wickets, dismissing Mehedi and Taskin Ahmed in successive deliveries.SRI LANKA 1st innings 494 (K. Mendis 194, A. Gunaratne 85, N. Dickwella 75, D. Perera 51; M. Hasan 4-113)BANGLADESH 1st innings (o/n 133-2)T. Iqbal run-out (Dickwella) 57S. Sarkar c Kumara b Lakmal 71M. Haque lbw b D. Perera 7M. Rahimb Herath 85S. Al Hasan c Dickwella b Sandakan 23Mahmudullah b Kumara 8L. Das c Gunaratne b Herath 5M. Hasan lbw b D. Perera 41T. Ahmed lbw b D. Perera 0S. Roy not out 0M. Rahman c K. Mendis b Herath 4Extras (lb-6 nb-2 w-3) 11Total: (all out, 97.2 overs) 312Fall of wickets: 1-118, 2-127, 3-142, 4-170, 5-184, 6-192, 7-298, 8-298, 9-308.Bowling: S. Lakmal 14-0-42-1, L. Kumara 16-1-70-1 (w-3), D. Perera 19-4-53-3 (nb-1), R. Herath 26.2-4-72-3, L. Sandakan 22-5-69-1 (nb-1).last_img read more