Otago Daily Times 22 November 2014Two children are pictured with their arms around a couple; bright eyes, beaming smiles.The framed photo is worth more than a thousand words – it is one of the only mementos a Central Otago couple have of the children, who called them ”Mummy and Daddy”, after Child Youth and Family’s Home for Life programme turned out for them to be anything but. Home for Life system ‘appalling’The couple, whom the Otago Daily Times cannot name, had the children removed from their care by CYF in February. They were returned to a previous foster care arrangement.The couple, in their 40s, initially wanted to adopt a child. They almost did so several times before a social worker in Invercargill suggested the Home for Life programme.”It’s not an adoption, although it’s sold to you in the way it would lead to adoption,” the woman says.A CYF brochure on Home for Life states the child will be ”in your care for life” and in most cases the couple will ”become their legal guardian, often in addition to birth parents”.Contact will ”usually” continue with the child’s birth family in a ”safe and planned way”, it says.However, the woman says Home for Life is a ”deeply flawed” system.http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/324216/despair-after-foster-children-taken
Members of al Shabaab ride in a pick-up truck outside Somalia’s capital MogadishuAl Shabaab militants killed at least seven people including a regional official and local police commander in an attack on a government convoy in southern Somalia on Wednesday, officials and the group said. Al Shabaab attacked the convoy between Garbaharey and Baladhawo towns in the Gedo region, near the Kenyan border.The al Qaeda-allied group frequently launches attacks on officials in its bid to topple the Western-backed government and impose its strict interpretation of Islam on the nation, which is struggling to rebuild after two decades of war.The group now controls increasingly smaller patches of territory since an African Union force and Somali troops drove it out of major strongholds in an offensive launched last year. “We ambushed them but it turned into a fierce battle later,” Al Shabaab’s military operations spokesman, Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, told Reuters.He said 18 people were killed. Senior Somali police officer Elmi Nur said three militants and seven others, including a deputy district commissioner and a regional police commander, were killed. “We have been launching operations to eliminate Al Shabaab from the region.More police and military were sent after the ambush to chase the fighters hiding in the forested areas,” he said. Al Shabaab often cites higher numbers for those killed than official figures.
John Mikel Obi is considering a return to England after severing ties with Turkish Super Lig club Trabzonspor. ex-Trabzonspor midfielderJohn Obi Mikel Mikel terminated his contract with Trabzonspor last week following his statement on the coronavirus outbreak. The former Super Eagles captain criticised Turkish football authorities in the social media for not suspending the season despite the spread of Covid-19. His contract was subsequently terminated and he has promised never to the Trabzonspor as a result of the way he was treated by the club.Advertisement Loading… “Now I’m focused on a new page in my career. I do not know where next but want to be close to my family, my house. Maybe England, I do not know yet. Together, we’ll see what happens.” Mikel told The Athletic. Mikel spent 11 years at Chelsea before moving to China to China where he played for Tiajin Teda. Read Also:Agent explains Mikel Obi quitting Trabzonspor He played for Championship club Middlesbrough before he joined Trabzonspor in Turkey. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentHow They Made Little Simba Look So Lifelike in ‘The Lion King’Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way8 Shows That Went From “Funny” To “Why Am I Watching This”World’s Most Delicious Foods10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithThe Best Cars Of All TimeThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top
Major Sherlock Gabana, Polilce Station 2 chief, said Brisuela used a wood covered with cloth to cut a portion of the jail’s steel bar to escape from the detention cell. Dela Raya was on duty when 36-year-old James Brisuela of Barangay 3, an illegal drug suspect, fled the facility around 3:40 a.m. Brisuela was previously arrested for an illegal drug offense on May 4. He requested to be placed under the custody of Police Station 1 because of fear from his co-detainees at Police Station 2, following his escape. Police Staff Sergeant Luduvico Dela Raya, duty jailer of the said police station, was charged for the offense before the City Prosecutor’s Office. He posted an P18,500 bail bond for his temporary liberty. Brisuela surrendered to Colonel Henry Biñas, Bacolod City Police Office director, the following day, through the help of a local radio station. BACOLOD City – A police officer here was criminally charged for evasion through negligence following Friday’s predawn escape of a detainee from the lockup facility of Police Station 2. Biñas said that Dela Raya and other duty personnel at the time, including Gabana will be subject to investigation. “Gabana is part of the investigation kag kon makita nga nagpabaya sya, he will be liable. We have to investigate what was Gabana has been before and after the incident knowing that he has so much accomplishments in his work resulting to the apprehension of big amount of illegal drugs,” Biñas added./PN
A local senator has authored a bill that could help promote local breweries and wineries.Republican Senator Jean Leising of Oldenburg has introduced legislation that would allow the sale of alcoholic beverages at the Indiana State Fair.Senate Bill 168 would end a prohibition that has been in place since 1947. It was issued due to a littering problem.Leising suggests many Hoosier microbreweries and wineries, like local hotspots Lil’ Charlies Restaurant and Brewery and Ertel Cellars Winery, would feature their products at the state fair if the bill is passed.“For number one, some publicity for us because we take a lot of pride in what we do, and to get people into the Batesville area,” Adam Ollberding of Lil’ Charlies said. “We would absolutely be interested in showcasing beers at the state fair.”Provisions in the bill would allow those twenty-one years of age and older to consume alcoholic beverages in designated areas.
Roy C. Smith, age 77, of Brookville, Indiana died Friday, February 3, 2017 at Mercy West Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio.Born September 26, 1939 in Moores Creek, Kentucky he was the son of the late Morton & Ruby (Ingram) Smith. He was a veteran of the United States Army having served from 1958 – 1962. On March 16, 1963 in Blooming Grove, Indiana he and the former Phyllis Boggs were united in marriage, and she survives.Roy was retired from Cincinnati Incorporated where he had worked for over 30 years. He was a member of the Fairfield Masonic Lodge #98 F. & A.M., the Scottish Rite, and the Shriners. He was also a member of the American Quarter Horse Association. In his leisure time he enjoyed farming, horses, reading, and traveling, but most of all he cherished time spent with his family.Besides Phyllis, his beloved wife of nearly 54 years, survivors include a daughter & son-in-law, Virginia (Russell B.) Campbell, a son & daughter-in-law, Chad (Denise) Smith all of Brookville, Indiana; a sister, Jane Allen of Brookville, Indiana; four grandchildren, Ashley Huhman of Wichita, Kansas, Ryan Campbell, Alex Smith, and Brett Campbell all of Brookville, Indiana; as well as two great-grandchildren, Bailey and Derek Huhman.In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers-in-law, Orville Allen and Roger Race; and a sister-in-law, Debbie Smith.Family & friends may visit from 4 till 8 P.M. on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home, 1025 Franklin Avenue, Brookville, where Masonic Memorial Services will be conducted at 7:00 P.M..Rev. Virgil Ball will officiate the Funeral Services at 11:00 A.M. on Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home in Brookville. Burial with full military graveside honors by the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion will follow in Mt. Carmel Cemetery.Memorial contributions may be directed the Shriners. Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home is honored to serve the Smith family, to sign the online guest book or send personal condolences please visit www.phillipsandmeyers.com .
At a meeting on Tuesday afternoon Martinez told Whelan he was ending his four-year association with the Latics after they dropped out of the Premier League despite winning the FA Cup. Whelan will not stand in the way of his manager, who is on a one-year rolling contract, and will demand compensation from whichever club he joins. Everton, looking to replace David Moyes who has gone to Manchester United, appear to be in pole position after requesting permission to speak to Martinez over the weekend. “Roberto wants to move on,” Whelan told Press Association Sport. “We will let him go but he’s on a 12-month rolling contract so if he moves someone will have to buy him out of his final year. Everton rang me and I said they have permission to talk to him.” Everton have not commented on the development but Martinez is the favourite for the vacancy at Goodison Park. Martinez, 39, who spent six years as a player with Latics, has been a popular manager in his four years at the helm. He has had to contend with relegation battles in each season but has regularly earned plaudits for his positive style of play. The former Swansea manager has been heavily linked with Aston Villa and Liverpool in each of the past two summers. Wigan survived relegation from the top flight on the last day of the season in 2011 and last year won seven of their last nine games to produce a remarkable escape. That was a feat that proved beyond them this term but they did claim handsome consolation with their stunning FA Cup final victory over Manchester City. Press Association Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has given Everton permission to speak to manager Roberto Martinez after the Spaniard asked to leave the club.
Steve Robinson’s men still have three games left to play in Group Nine but even if they were to win all three they would not have enough points to qualify for the play-offs. It has been a dire qualifying campaign for Northern Ireland, who have now lost all five of their games and scored only a single goal in the process. Press Association Federico Viviani opened the scoring for the Italians in the 27th minute and late goals from Antonio Rozzi and Andrea Belotti sealed the win. Italy took the lead as Josh Carson brought down Viviani and the Roma man fired home from the resulting free-kick. Rozzi doubled the lead four minutes from time as he converted Salvatore Molina’s pass and just two minutes later Belotti rounded off the scoring. Northern Ireland Under-21s will not be going to the European Championships in 2015 after a 3-0 defeat to Italy on Thursday night saw their qualification hopes ended.
Bio At Blue Hill, Ezra Young singled home the winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning to give the Acadians the win.Starting pitcher Seth Clark pitched four and two-thirds innings of no-hit ball for the Acadians and struck out 11 batters before reaching his pitch count limit.Nick Stanley doubled and scored a run and Drew Rich singled and scored for the Acadians.Jake Keenan also turned in a strong pitching effort for Coastal, allowing just three hits and two runs and striking out eight batters in four innings on the mound.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textBryce Harmon singled to drive in two runs, Payson Allen sjngled home a run and Stefan Simmons singled and scored for Coastal.For more sports news, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. email@example.com Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) Latest Posts
Las Vegas: Serena Williams talked about her fashion business and her family, but not tennis fouls during an appearance before a business trade group in Las Vegas. The 23-time Grand Slam champion wasn’t asked about gender equality in sports or an argument she had last weekend with the chair umpire at her U.S. Open finals match in New York during about 25 minutes onstage with Sarah Robb O’Hagan, chief executive of Flywheel Sports, at the National Retail Federation trade show. Williams, who took no questions from the audience, said previously she felt she had been treated more harshly than a male player would have been for smashing her racket and arguing with match official Carlos Ramos during her straight-set finals loss to Naomi Osaka of Japan on Sept. 8 in New York.ALSO READ: Asia Cup: Rohit and his unique record to lead Kohli-less IndiaWilliams received three code violations and was penalized one game. She was later fined USD 17,000.The incident drew a volley of commentary in recent days.Tennis icon Billie Jean King said she believes tennis applies a double standard to women compared with men, and that a similar outburst by a male player would have drawn no repercussions.A cartoon caricature of Williams appeared in an Australian newspaper drew comparisons to U.S. racial stereotypes of the past.ALSO READ: WATCH: Inzamam-ul-Haq attacks Indian fan for calling him ‘aloo’, ‘motu’In Croatia, U.S. Davis Cup team captain Jim Courier said he thought the gender issue had been polarized and in some ways politicized.“It’s been quite the week,” O’Hagan said before steering the conversation away from controversy.“It isn’t the first time you have had to deal with unfair judgment against you, and yet you have this amazing an ability to come back with such courage and grace,” she said.She drew applause praising Williams for calming a riled-up audience that booed the U.S. Open outcome to refocus the moment on Osaka’s victory.ALSO READ: Asia Cup 2018: India vs Pakistan | Check out these rivalry stats“I feel it’s really important to stand up for what you believe in,” Williams said, “especially if it can affect the future and affect a lot of people in the future. That’s what it’s all about.”Williams also was asked about what O’Hagan termed “epic comebacks” during her 20-year tennis career, including having a baby a little more than a year ago.The tennis star, who has her own fashion line, advised business owners to “really figure out, ‘What can I do to revamp and bring it back to the top?’”“Really it’s just about having a great team … and rolling up your sleeves and hard work,” Williams said.“I work really, really hard at my game. And then I work super hard at my fashion business. And I’m working incredibly hard at being a mom.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.