South Main Street To Be Closed For Paving

first_imgImage by Justin Gould/WNYNewsNow.JAMESTOWN — South Main Street will be closed for paving work this coming Wednesday.The Jamestown Department of Public Works has announced starting 5 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 16, South Main Street will be closed to traffic for most of the day. South Main Street is anticipated to open by late Wednesday afternoon.Motorists should use alternate routes and expect delays. On Thursday, Sept. 17, motorists should expect delays while the Traffic Department puts striping down. For additional information, contact the DPW Office at (716) 483-7545. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Crunchy Tomatoes.

first_img I found a seat and unwrapped the foil. Ah, the aroma was delicious, as was the first bite of chicken. The second bite seemed to include a bit of seaweed — no, that was the lettuce. Another bite — “Hmmm. What’s crunchy? Tomato? Now, that’s adding insult to injury.” ‘You Know You’re in Trouble…’ I stopped by a fast-food restaurant the other day and finally decided on one of the fried, spicy, chicken sandwiches. The young lady at the counter asked if I wanted lettuce and tomato on the sandwich. There was an extra charge, but I thought, “I need to help the farmers, so why not?” Foolproof Tomatoes Photo: Scott Bauer, USDA-ARS The tomato, which should have been mellow with that slightly acidic bite, had all of the crunch of a good Granny Smith apple. “You know you’re in trouble,” I told my wife, “when the tomato has more crunch than the fried chicken.” Tomatoes these days are shipped green. Cultivars are “shippers” first. Taste comes in last. These are better known as 8 mph (miles per hour) tomatoes. That’s the kind of shock they can endure and not be bruised. These tomatoes had been ripened in transit, not on the vine. The only foolproof way to insure good taste in tomatoes is to grow them yourself. Watch over them, baby them, fertilize, water, prune, pick bugs, etc. Otherwise, just be reconciled to faint pink slices that lend crunch to your sandwich. Crunchy tomatoes. To me, that’s just another reason to keep those tomatoes growing so you can fix a “real” sandwich at home that tastes the way it should.last_img read more

Prince Reaffirms Spain’s Support of Colombia in the Fight Against Terror

first_imgBy Dialogo May 29, 2009 (Updated with statements by Álvaro Uribe, the President of Colombia) Bogota, 27 may (EFE). – Today the Prince of Asturias, Felipe de Borbón, reiterated to Colombia “the firm and direct support of Spain in the fight against terrorism and drug trafficking, and in favor of stronger democratic values.” That night the Princes of Asturias attended a dinner at the Palace of Nariño offered in their honor by the President of Colombia, Álvaro Uribe, and his wife, Lina Moreno, with representatives of various social sectors of the host country. This was the third time within the first 24 hours of his first official visit to Colombia with his wife, Doña Letizia, that the Prince condemned terrorism. The firm rejection today coincided with the 45th anniversary of the birth of the guerrilla organization Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which recently has been undermined by the government’s counterattack and by desertions. Don Felipe discussed the democratic tradition in Colombia, and also the fact that in 1853 male suffrage was adopted and for the first time the enfranchisement of women was recognized. The heir to the Spanish crown claimed that, at the international level, the upcoming participation of Colombia in the peacekeeping forces in Afghanistan is highly valued. Finally he said that the Andean country was his first destination in 1993 when he traveled outside of Spain as Prince of Asturias on the occasion of the 450th anniversary of the founding of Cartagena de Indias (Colombia). The Colombian President said that compensation for victims of terrorism will be implemented, and that the $100 million dedicated to that fund will reach about 12,000 people. The President thanked the King and the Prince for ensuring that different Spanish governments have the same policy of support for Colombia. Uribe defended the independence of the different branches of his country and assured that monitoring bodies are the result of the public opinion in a democracy. He also said that Colombia is working to achieve social policies for all Colombians and political liberties and investment, but the latter is affected by terrorism, and therefore it is not easy to combat poverty. However, he said that Colombia has experienced great advances in education and health, although housing is still a problem. Before dinner, the Prince visited the Capitol, where they were greeted by the president of the Senate, Hernán Andrade, and of the House of Representatives, Germán Varón. The heir to the Spanish crown spoke to congressmen and senators to state that experience demonstrated that “efficient, and therefore more transparent public institutions together with the strengthening of the rule of law,” and the defense of freedom and human rights, are the “right path.” Prince Felipe also spoke of terrorism in Spain and emphasized the support that victims and their families around the world need, and the need for societies to condemn and reject terror. The Prince stressed that the commitment of Spain to the Latin American Community of Nations is reflected with particular intensity in the parliamentary area, which expresses ties of friendship, exchanges, and cooperation. At least one third of the 102 Colombian senators and 160 Colombian congressmen have been prosecuted for their alleged links with paramilitary groups and the drug traffickers who work with them. Tomorrow, the Prince and Uribe opened the second Spanish-Colombian investment forum, and Prince Felipe and Doña Letizia will receive an audience with the commission on the Bicentennial of the Ibero-American Independence, and also have lunch with Colombian intellectuals.last_img read more

Hammerson chosen for Kingston facelift

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

UWP Political leader admits almost 15 years of disqualifiying vice

first_img Tweet Share LocalNews UWP Political leader admits almost 15 years of disqualifiying vice by: – September 8, 2011 12 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! Share Hon. Ronald Green. Photo credit: uwpdm.comThe United Workers Party Political Leader and Petitioner in the dual citizenship case involving Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit and Member of Parliament for the La Plaine Constituency Honourable Petter St. Jean, Honourable Ronald Green has admitted almost fifteen years of disqualifying vice.Honourable Ronald Green admitted in Court yesterday that he knowingly retained his dual citizenship status after acquiring a United States passport as an adult even after the issue of his disqualification was raised in 1995 by Former Chief Justice Sir Brian Alleyne, who was the Attorney General at the time.Mr Green is seeking to persuade the Court that Petter St. Jean should be disqualified because he may have obtained a French passport and was a citizen of France.From the evidence presented to the Court yesterday, Mr. Green admits that on Nomination Day at the 2009 general elections he was still a citizen of the United States.Unconfirmed reports also indicate that Mr Green also travelled on the said passport after the 2009 general elections.What is clear however according to Mr. Green’s evidence is that his dual citizenship status was only resolved “some months later” when he formally applied to the US Embassy in Barbados on the 11th of December, 2009.From his evidence in Court yesterday, Mr Green admitted that he obtained citizenship at the age of 17 but of his own act obtained a United States passport as an adult.He also testified that in the 1995, 2000, and 2005 elections he knew that he had dual citizenship status.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit told reporters outside the Court yesterday, that this case is “unfortunate as the very same thing which Mr. Green is accusing Mr St. Jean and myself of, he has admitted to having done that in Court.” Observers have also been commenting that the very matter which Mr. Green is complaining about against Mr St. Jean he also suffered from the same vice for over fifteen years.Mr Green’s admission coupled with the setting aside of the subpoenas by Justice Gertel Thom yesterday raises serious questions about the merits and motives of the case against Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit and Honourable Petter St. Jean.The cross examination of Mr Green will continue from nine o’clock this morning.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Woodward fails to show up at United, Wolves clash after fans attacked his £2m mansion

first_img Promoted ContentThe Best Cars Of All Time8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits Earth11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldThe 18 Most Visited Cities In The WorldCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True Manchester United’s vice executive chairman Ed Woodward was a surprise absentee for the club’s Premier League clash with Wolves on Saturday. Loading… Woodward’s home in Cheshire was attacked by United fans on Tuesday, with supporters calling for him to quit as a result of their struggling form this season. A mob of around 20 balaclava-clad supporters launched an attack on Woodward’s luxurious mansion near Knutsford, in which he lives with his wife, Isabelle, and his two young twin daughters. The gang assembled outside the house and rang an intercom on his large gates at the entrance on Tuesday night. But when nobody answered inside the mansion, the mob decided to throw a red smoke bomb before launching a firework at the house. It was reported that Woodward beefed up his personal security in the aftermath of the attacks on his home, but he still attended the Carabao Cup semi-final clash with Manchester City at the Etihad on Wednesday. Supporters have sang songs calling for him and the club’s owners, the Glazer family, to leave, while wearing green and gold scarves as a symbol of their continued protests. Fans are unhappy with United’s apparent lack of strategy in the transfer market, though Woodward did deliver two signings in the January transfer window. The £68million signing of Bruno Fernandes was widely applauded by fans but United’s late scramble for a striker, which saw Odion Ighalo agree a six-month loan move prompted supporters to blast Woodward’s lack of planning and organisation. United fans were expected to walk out of Old Trafford during the 0-0 draw on Saturday to again vent their opposition to Woodward and the Glazer family, though there didn’t appear to be a mass exodus of supporters. Woodward will perhaps have been happy to have missed the encounter, which saw United put in another drab showing bereft of attacking quality. The result leaves the club in sixth place in the Premier League table, four points behind Chelsea who occupy fourth spot and the final Champions League spot. read also:Angry United fans target Woodward’s £2m mansion with fireworks, smoke bomb Sheffield United’s 1-0 win over Crystal Palace has seen the Blades leapfrog United into fifth place. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Bulldogs Freshman Basketball Team Falls To Olympians

first_imgThe Batesville freshman basketball team opened up 2015 with a 55-15 loss at Columbus East on Saturday.The pressure applied by the Olympians was more than the Batesville team had seen all year. Turnovers plagued the dogs in the first half from the Columbus East pressure and they were never able to recover.The boys are in action again Monday at Lawrenceburg.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Michael Lanning.last_img

​Premier League discusses resuming season behind closed doors

first_img Promoted Content6 Great Ancient Mysteries That Make China Worth VisitingA Hit Song By Lil Nas X Is Beating A World Record As We Speak!10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without RechargingA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterThe Most Exciting Cities In The World To Visit8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthWorld’s Most Delicious FoodsPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body Clubs reiterated a commitment to resuming the season “when safe and appropriate to do so” during a video conference on Friday. The conference followed a separate meeting, hosted by culture secretary Oliver Dowden, involving medical experts from several sports organisations, government and Public Health England, about “stepping up planning” for sport’s eventual return. Dowden introduced the meeting and said elite sport would return behind closed doors “when, and only when, it is safe to do so on the basis of expert medical advice”. The Premier League said in a statement it would “only return to training and playing with government guidance”.Advertisement “No decisions were taken at today’s meeting and clubs exchanged views on the information provided regarding ‘Project Restart’,” the statement added. “It was agreed that the Professional Footballers’ Association, the League Managers’ Association, players and managers are key to this process and will be further consulted. “The clubs reconfirmed their commitment to finishing the 2019-20 season, maintaining integrity of the competition and welcomed the government’s support.” The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March because of coronavirus but all clubs remain committed to playing this season’s 92 remaining fixtures. read also:Arsenal named fifth most valuable club in EPL All games are expected to be held behind closed doors and the league is considering making some available on free-to-air TV. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Premier League clubs have discussed “the first tentative moves forward” in plans to resume the 2019-20 season, reports BBC Sport.last_img read more

Shebester holds on for first career Sprint Series of Oklahoma victory

first_imgBy David Smith Jr.ELK CITY, Okla. (July 22) – Steven Shebester took the lead at the start, then held off a fast-clos­ing Joe Wood Jr. at the end to win the Sprint Series of Oklahoma feature Saturday at Elk City Speed­way.The IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car series victory was his career first.Shebester started on the front row for the 25-lap feature and took the lead as the green flag fell.The Mustang, Okla., driver had his hands full with defending national and series champion Andy Shouse as the frontrunners approached traffic near midway.Shebester handled lapped traffic while Shouse had his hands full with Wood. Wood, who took over the runner-up position and set his sights on the leader.Gunning for his second feature victory in a row and third career, Wood got a run underneath the leader coming out of turn four on the last lap. Shebester held on for his first career victory in only his fifth start piloting a Sprint Car.Wood settled for second while Shouse came home third. Brandon Long and Zach Blurton rounded out the top five.Presented by Smiley’s Racing Products, the Sprint Series of Oklahoma will be back in action Fri­day night, July 28 at Wichita Speedway.Feature results – 1. Steven Shebester; 2. Joe Wood Jr.; 3. Andy Shouse; 4. Brandon Long; 5. Zach Blurton; 6. Blake Dacus; 7. Jake Martens; 8. Cody Whitworth; 9. Chris Kelly; 10. Josh Toho; 11. Michael Gossman; 12. Loyd Clevenger; 13. Dillon Laden; 14. Justin Fisk; 15. Blake Scott; 16. Jerry Jumper; 17. Justin Mowery; 18. Tristan Oakes; 19. Chase Smith; 20. Tanner Conn; 21. Chad Koch.last_img read more

Leising greets FFA, Farm Bureau members at the Statehouse

first_imgPictured from left: Casie Roland, Grayce Knapp, Sara Weaver, Leising, Jenna Orschell, Isaac Selm and Doug KriegerIndianapolis, In. — Republican state senator Jean Leising from Oldenburg recently met with members of Franklin County FFA and Franklin County Farm Bureau. The group discussed agriculture-related bills and the future of farming in Indiana.last_img