Although the city has requested a narrowing of the consent decree governing the LAPD, Chief William Bratton said Thursday he expects a federal judge to extend all provisions of the document for at least two years. U.S. District Judge Gary Feess has scheduled a hearing Monday, when he will rule whether the decree should be extended beyond its June 15 deadline. The Los Angeles Police Department has complied with 70 percent of the requirements of the decree, which was implemented in 2001 to force reform after the Rampart Division scandal involving rogue cops. “We would like it to allow us to no longer be measured in the areas that we’re in compliance,” Bratton said while attending a groundbreaking ceremony for the Northwest Area Police Station in Canoga Park. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinals“But the independent monitor suggests that the judge should continue the full consent decree, and I think the judge will do that.” Late last month, the city requested that Feess extend only the provisions that still need to be met, such as installing a computer system to track misconduct and setting requirements for officers who work with lucrative evidence to submit financial disclosure statements. But in paperwork submitted in response to the city’s request, Michael Cherkasky, the federal monitor appointed by the court to oversee compliance issues, suggested that the original wording of the decree would not allow a partial extension. The city entered into the decree in 2001 after the Department of Justice accused the LAPD of corruption. The accusations stemmed from the Rampart scandal, during which a corrupt officer accused dozens of fellow officers of abuse and misconduct. The decree proved a catalyst for reform, Bratton said. The department has implemented dozens of internal audits and conducts internal stings to root out bad officers. “This is a very different police department then it was when the consent decree went into effect,” Bratton said. “The spirit of the consent decree has been met. We have shown over the last five years a willingness to reform. I hope this is not seen as a setback. It’s a way station on a journey.” Police officials expect the computer system that tracks misconduct to be implemented by late this year. They say it will become the most sophisticated risk-management system nationwide. “It’s a very complex system,” said Gerald Chaleff, head of the LAPD’s Consent Decree Bureau. ” … The chief has stated since the day he was appointed that the consent decree is one of his top priorities. … This department has worked very hard and achieved a great deal.” [email protected] (818) 713-3669160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!