dlofuiwb

THREE POSSIBLE SOURCES OF HORRIFIC HOUSE FIRE WHICH KILLED DONEGAL SISTERS – EXPERT

first_imgJody Brogan died later in hospitalTHERE were three possible sources of a house fire which tragically took the lives of sisters Jolene and Anngeline Brogan, an inquest heard today.The close-knit and loving sisters – there was just 14 months between them in age – died on January 3 last year in the fire at 8 Ceannan View in Letterkenny. Jolene – who was 28 and known as Jody – and Anngeline, who was 27 and known as Anngie, were found in an upstairs bedroom of the semi-detached house.A garda forensic officers who later examined the scene said the fire had started in or around the bed in which the girls had been sleeping.Garda Noel Keaveney said the fire could have been caused by one of three possible sources – cigarettes in an ashtray on a beside locker, three wax candles on top of a cabinet or an electric fan heater which was in the ‘on’ position and plugged in.He said the fire had burnt a hole in the wooden bedroom floor into the living room below. This hole, he said, measured approximately six feet by three feet.Fire officer Martin Bond said he and a colleague faced thick black smoke when they entered the house which was so bad they had zero visibility.As colleagues tackled the flames from outside, he went into the bedroom and quickly located the body of Anngie close to a radiator.Realising she was dead, they prioritised finding her sister and located her inside an en-suite bathroom and quickly removed her to a waiting ambulance. She was still alive but died 45 minutes later in hospital.Gda Robert Carey told coroner John Cannon he was called to the scene at 11.15am and was met by a friend of the girls Dean Kelly who was distraught and shouting the girls’ names.Mr Kelly said he had woken to the smell of smoke but had fallen asleep again. He woke again shortly afterwards and the smoke alarms were going off.He ran to the front bedroom but when he opened the door there was “a huge explosion”.He was blown back and ran to a neighbour to raise the alarm. He grabbed a jumper, wetted it on the road outside and wrapped it around himself and ran back inside the house to try to save the girls.“I couldn’t get in. The smoke was so thick I couldn’t breathe,” he said.Mr Kelly said he and the girls had bought beer, vodka and Baileys at 5pm the evening before and they had enjoyed the evening chatting and listening to music. They had all gone to bed at 2am and he was invited to stay in the back upstairs bedroom whilst Anngie and Jodie shared a double bed at the front of the house.A shop assistant from a Centra store at Mountain Top told the inquest that Anngie had entered the shop with an unknown man between 3.30am and 4am. She had complained a cash machine wasn’t working and they left without purchasing anything.Pathologist Dr Hajnalka Gyorffy said she had found Anngie had died from soot inhalation, carbon monoxide poisoning and fourth degree burns. She had also found a toxic level of alcohol.In relation to Jodie she found she had suffered first and second degree burns, carbon monoxide poisoning and soot inhalation. She also found toxic levels of alcohol, cocaine and sleeping tablets.Mr Cannon recorded their deaths as having been caused as set out in the pathology report.He told parents Frank and Mary Brogan that the deaths were “heart-wrenching” and he passed his sympathy to the family.He also praised the emergency services for their work on the day of the fire.Sgt Eunan Walsh thanked the Brogan family for the way they had helped gardai with their inquiries and she he hoped that now the inquests were over the extended family could begin to find some closure.THREE POSSIBLE SOURCES OF HORRIFIC HOUSE FIRE WHICH KILLED DONEGAL SISTERS – EXPERT was last modified: February 12th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:anngeline broganhouse firejody broganLetterkenny Donegallast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *