Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Police Chief William Bratton on Thursday downplayed reports of planned terrorist attacks on shopping malls in Los Angeles and Chicago, saying the information was not credible and considered a low-level threat. At a news conference in City Hall, the mayor and chief said the FBI has received similar warnings every holiday season since 9-11. “We have very serious doubts about the veracity and source of this information,” Bratton said. “The information is unsubstantiated and uncorroborated.” Nevertheless, the LAPD and the Mayor’s Office reached out to mall owners to discuss the report. “Al-Qaida has made this threat with this intent of disrupting our way of life and damaging our local economy during the holiday season,” he said. “We have a responsibility to make sure they fail.” Laura Eimiller, an FBI spokeswoman, also played down the threat, saying raw intelligence is regularly shared with law enforcement, even when the value of the information is unknown. “In the post-9-11 era, sharing information is our top priority,” Eimiller said. “Al-Qaida messaging has clearly stated they intend to attack the U.S. or its interests. However, there is no information to state this is a credible threat. As always, we remind people to remain vigilant and report suspicious activity to authorities.” In the South Bay, shopping center managers and police said they were aware of the FBI alert. “We are committed year-round to maintain the safety of our guests and merchants and will continue to be vigilant through the holiday season,” said Laurie Koike, general manager of the South Bay Galleria. “Our comprehensive security program includes a complement of sworn officers as well as a security team that is capable of dealing with situations as they arise,” Koike said. Dave Crespin, a spokesman for the Torrance Police Department, which has jurisdiction over the Del Amo Fashion Center, one of the largest malls in the country, said officers are paying close attention to potential targets for terrorists. “Since 9-11, we’ve re-evaluated the safety of our schools, Torrance airport, our major shopping centers – such as the (Del Amo) mall, and our major businesses such as ExxonMobil,” he said. [email protected] [email protected] City News Service contributed to this article. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Bratton and FBI Acting Director Pete Brust said the mall threat was contained in a routine intelligence information report when it was picked up by news agencies. The warning states that “as of August 2007 Al-Qaeda planned to strike U.S. shopping malls in Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles, California, during the 2007 Christmas season. Al-Qaeda hoped to disrupt the U.S. economy and had been planning the attack for the past two years.” Brust said the FBI distributes thousands of such reports in a year, “in an abundance of caution.” “The good that will come of this release today is that the citizens of Los Angeles will remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to authorities as soon as possible,” he said. Villaraigosa added that the report shouldn’t scare Angelenos away from malls.