“Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation,” he said in a statement.The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had made an official request to Italian authorities, adding it is “taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence”.Former model Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, made the accusations against the now 33-year-old Ronaldo in a complaint filed last year in the state of Nevada. She claims after meeting the footballer at a Las Vegas nightclub, he raped her at his hotel suite on June 13, 2009 — just before he joined Real Madrid from Manchester United for a then-world record 94 million euros ($108 million).Mayorga’s lawyers have said previously she immediately reported the alleged rape to the Las Vegas police and underwent a medical examination.A private mediation was organised with representatives of Ronaldo, Mayorga and their lawyers, where she alleges she was paid $375,000 to keep quiet.Ronaldo’s lawyers have said that the non-disclosure agreement signed with the former model was “by no means a confession of guilt”.Mayorga’s attorney has said the model agreed to an out-of-court settlement to keep her name from going public, but was inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.Her attorney could not immediately be reached for comment, but in the past said the agreement should be made null and void because it was made when she was suffering from extreme psychological duress.Ronaldo is widely considered one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game, having won the Champions League title five times — once with Manchester United and four times with Real Madrid.He also led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in France.Juventus signed him last year from Real for 100 million euros ($115 million), the most ever paid for a player aged over 30.Ronaldo has long been marketed as a global face of football and his image has become a market mover. When the rape allegations first came to light, shares in Juventus dipped on the stock exchange.Forbes magazine says he is one of just three athletes to be given a lifelong contract by US sportswear manufacturer Nike along with NBA superstar LeBron James and retired basketball legend Michael Jordan.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Ronaldo is one of the most valuable players in the history of the game © AFP/File / Marco BERTORELLOLos Angeles, United States, Jan 11 – Las Vegas police have asked football star Cristiano Ronaldo to submit a DNA sample as part of their investigation into rape allegations made against him.The five-time world player of the year — who plays for Italian league champions Juventus — has vehemently denied the accusations, and his lawyer Peter Christiansen said the request was standard procedure.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 Gabe Kapler ruptured his left Achilles’ tendon while rounding second base on Tony Graffanino’s fifth-inning homer during Wednesday night’s 5-3 win over Toronto. Graffanino’s ball went over the left-field wall, and Kapler fell to the ground. He got up on one knee but couldn’t continue. After a five-minute delay, Kapler was carted off the field. Alejandro Machado pinch ran starting at second base and finished circling the bases. “I felt like I got hit at the back of my ankle,” said Kapler, who wasn’t in pain after the game. “I just had seen the ball go over.” Kapler realizes he could be sidelined a long time. “We’re important to ESPN,” Bob DuPuy, the president and chief operating officer of baseball, said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “We fill up a lot of space for them in the summer. We’re their programming in the summer. If you look at ‘SportsCenter,” most nights in the summer, it’s, what, 70 percent baseball.” Kapler ruptures Achilles ESPN announced Wednesday that it would televise Major League Baseball games through 2013 and expand its rights to carry games on new technologies, including a cell phone that it is expected to start marketing next year. The deal, which is worth about $2.4 billion to Major League Baseball over eight years, is a symbol of the sport’s growing business success despite concerns about steroid use by players that have prompted congressional hearings and threats of federal action. Earlier this summer, Rafael Palmeiro of the Baltimore Orioles tested positive for using a steroid months after wagging his finger and telling a congressional committee that he never had. Still, baseball attendance is heading for a record, XM Satellite Radio is paying Major League Baseball nearly $60 million a year to carry games beyond the borders of traditional radio, and ESPN, the cable news media empire, is substantially increasing its annual payments. Guillen throws tantrum Washington outfielder Jose Guillen was ejected after striking out in the fifth inning of Wednesday night’s 6-3 victory over the Mets, then began throwing equipment onto the field. The former Angels took a called third strike from Kris Benson leading off the inning. After he went back to the bench, he was thrown out of the game by plate umpire Bill Miller, sparking a tantrum from the volatile Guillen. “He yelled and cursed at me out of the dugout,” Miller said. “I ejected him. That’s it.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!