Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Nepal Under Chinese pressure, Nepal sanctions three journalists over Dalai Lama story Organisation May 29, 2019 Find out more May 17, 2019 Find out more News RSF_en to go further Nepalese journalists threatened, attacked and censored over Covid-19 coverage Receive email alerts NepalAsia – Pacific News June 8, 2020 Find out more News Nepal: RSF’s recommendations to amend controversial Media Council Bill NepalAsia – Pacific News August 17, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court orders Maoist union to lift blockade on two national dailies Printing and distribution of the Himalayan Times and Annapurna Post national dailies resumed yesterday, a day after a court in Patan ordered a Maoist union to lift its blockade because it was “obstructing the public’s right to be informed.” In its ruling, issued in response to a petition from the APCA Nepal press group, the court recommended negotiations to resolve the conflict.The union nonetheless continued to stage protests, blocking the entrance to APCA Nepal for more than an hour and threatening anyone going back to work with reprisals.Information and communication minister Krishna Bahadur Mahara, who is a Maoist leader, also called on media owners and unions to resolve their problems through “dialogue.” The minister had been criticised by Editors Alliance, a new organisation created by the heads of Nepal’s leading privately-owned dailies, which condemned a “sinister scenario of intimidation and threats against journalists” by Maoist organisations.—————–16.08 – Distribution of two national dailies blocked by Maoist offensive against independent mediaReporters Without Borders voiced concern today about a growing threat to press freedom in Nepal as a Maoist labour union prevented two privately-owned national dailies, The Himalayan Times and Annapurna Post, from being printed and distributed for the third day running.”Members of the central committee of the Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-M) gave us an undertaking in March 2006 to guarantee free expression and the right of journalists to move about freely in the course of their work,” the press freedom organisation said. “But since the April 2006 democratic revolution and the installation of an interim government including former Maoist rebels, the latter have continued their attacks on media that are not allied with them, and their promises have been forgotten.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We appeal to the CPN-M and its affiliated unions to cease their attacks on press freedom and to respect the laws reestablishing civil rights and freedoms.”The Himalayan Times and Annapurna Post have not circulated since 11 August, when a pro-Maoist union called the All Nepal Communication, Printing and Publication Workers began preventing the newspapers from leaving a printing works in Bhaisepathi (in the district of Lalitpur).The 11 August issues of both newspapers had stories about a complaint which their managements had brought against the union for blocking their distribution from 21 to 26 July and the fact the union’s leaders had been summoned to appear before an appeal court in Patan. The union’s leaders announced on 12 August that they would “kill anyone daring to distribute the two newspapers.”Journalists were threatened with reprisals if they wrote stories about the union. On August 14th, Union members blocked access to the newspapers’ editorial offices.When the Nepalese Press Union held a peaceful demonstration in Kathmandu on 9 August, 25 journalists were beaten and serious injured by members of the Communist Youth League, which is allegedly allied with the Maoists.Birendra Dahal, the manager of Radio HBC FM, began a hunger strike on 12 August in protest against the occupation of his station by members of the Republican Radio Workers’ Forum (RRWF), which had begun five days before, forcing it off the air. He said he would continue the hunger strike until the leaders of all the parties represented in parliament and their affiliated unions gave a written undertaken to put a stop to the attacks on privately-owned independent news media.These threats to press freedom from Maoist activists come just months before a constituent assembly is to be elected in November.
June 1, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for protests against return to censorship Organisation June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today announced its support for the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists’ plan to oppose a return to censorship after yesterday’s government announcement of new restrictions on press freedom, above all a ban on live broadcast coverage of outdoor events.”This arbitrary decision is a new stage in the move back to the sinister times of state censorship,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We hope that, with the support of the public and international community, the protests of Pakistan’s journalists will make the government back down. We were the first to hail the creation of privately-owned TV stations. But it is not by gagging them that President Pervez Musharraf will solve the current political crisis.”Information minister Mohammad Ali Durrani announced at a news conference yesterday that the federal government had decided to impose new restrictions on the media and warned them not to cross the “legal limits.” He said the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) would be in charge of ensuring that TV stations respect the ban on live coverage of outdoor events without prior permission.Clearly very irritated by the extensive live coverage of a recent seminar in which the deposed supreme court president took part, Durrani said: “The armed forces of Pakistan have embraced martyrdom whenever the country faced any threat… We cannot, therefore, let the defenders of our frontiers be maligned and defamed.”At the same time that Durrani was giving his news conference, a military intelligence agency, the ISPR, issued a release to the media confirming the restrictions.Cable and satellite TV operators subsequently stopped carrying the privately-owned television stations ARY Digital and Aaj TV. ARY Digital representative Mohsin Raza told Reporters Without Borders that the government claimed to be unaware of this. “And when we call the cable operators, they tell us that it was the government that asked them to do this.”A representative of the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists told Reporters Without Borders that his union intended to call a one-day strike.Gen. Musharraf’s government has been confronted by an unprecedented wave of opposition since the supreme court president’s dismissal on 9 March. The privately-owned broadcast media have been giving extensive coverage to anti-government demonstrations by lawyers and others. RSF_en to go further PakistanAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information News January 28, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Follow the news on Pakistan PakistanAsia – Pacific Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists April 21, 2021 Find out more News News