Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Guyana is aiming for higher skies and hoping to finally achieve full compliance with the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) within the next year, according to Director General of the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) Egbert Field.Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) Egbert Field and Rickford SamarooICAO is a specialised agency of the United Nations that codifies the principles and techniques of international air navigation. It fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure the safe and orderly aviation growth of all its member states.In order to achieve compliance with the requirements of ICAO, a Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP) is periodically conducted to assess the country’s level of effective implementation of recommendations.Field said Guyana has improved in its ratings, scoring 64.66 per cent up from 44.24 per cent. However, media reports indicate that Guyana had scored 70 per cent in December 2015.Nonetheless, the fairly new Director General said the GCAA will be moving forward by establishing a robust oversight system, equipped with qualified individuals.He noted that Guyana fell in the audit due to the limited expertise in the sector but said moves are afoot to recruit competent persons.He said the Authority will be sourcing a few experienced inspectors from the Caribbean who would become mentors and instructors for “those coming in so they can understand or appreciate the on-the-job-training.”Field noted too that Guyana was moving in the right direction and will continue to train its staff and acquire additional skills within the Authority.He expressed hopes that Guyana, within the next year, will possess the requisite documentation, regulation and staff to achieve a Category One Status: “But it depends on their audit and when they have the time to come in but we are moving full steam ahead.”Category One means that air carriers from the assessed country may initiate or continue service to the United States in a normal manner and take part in reciprocal code-share arrangements with US carriers.For Guyana it would mean that Guyanese operators would be able to fly direct to the US, among other benefits.Full coverageMeanwhile, the GCAA has embarked on a massive initiative to have full coverage of the country’s airspace.Acting Director of Air and Navigation Service Rickford Samaroo explained that an automatic dependent surveillance broadcast (ADSB) system, which is ICAO-approved, was purchased for US$120,000 and installed at the Timehri Air Traffic Control Station.This ADSB system broadcasts the aircraft’s position and intent automatically, and the ground station will receive that feed and display it.Next year, more systems will be purchased and installed at the other stations in the country, namely Port Kaituma, Kamarang, Kaieteur and Annai.Samaroo said it will take several months of testing before the entire system becomes operationalized.
“Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation,” he said in a statement.The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had made an official request to Italian authorities, adding it is “taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence”.Former model Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, made the accusations against the now 33-year-old Ronaldo in a complaint filed last year in the state of Nevada. She claims after meeting the footballer at a Las Vegas nightclub, he raped her at his hotel suite on June 13, 2009 — just before he joined Real Madrid from Manchester United for a then-world record 94 million euros ($108 million).Mayorga’s lawyers have said previously she immediately reported the alleged rape to the Las Vegas police and underwent a medical examination.A private mediation was organised with representatives of Ronaldo, Mayorga and their lawyers, where she alleges she was paid $375,000 to keep quiet.Ronaldo’s lawyers have said that the non-disclosure agreement signed with the former model was “by no means a confession of guilt”.Mayorga’s attorney has said the model agreed to an out-of-court settlement to keep her name from going public, but was inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.Her attorney could not immediately be reached for comment, but in the past said the agreement should be made null and void because it was made when she was suffering from extreme psychological duress.Ronaldo is widely considered one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game, having won the Champions League title five times — once with Manchester United and four times with Real Madrid.He also led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in France.Juventus signed him last year from Real for 100 million euros ($115 million), the most ever paid for a player aged over 30.Ronaldo has long been marketed as a global face of football and his image has become a market mover. When the rape allegations first came to light, shares in Juventus dipped on the stock exchange.Forbes magazine says he is one of just three athletes to be given a lifelong contract by US sportswear manufacturer Nike along with NBA superstar LeBron James and retired basketball legend Michael Jordan.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Ronaldo is one of the most valuable players in the history of the game © AFP/File / Marco BERTORELLOLos Angeles, United States, Jan 11 – Las Vegas police have asked football star Cristiano Ronaldo to submit a DNA sample as part of their investigation into rape allegations made against him.The five-time world player of the year — who plays for Italian league champions Juventus — has vehemently denied the accusations, and his lawyer Peter Christiansen said the request was standard procedure.
Naomi Osaka, the champion of U.S. Open women’s singles, smiles during a press conference in Yokohama, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018. Osaka defeated Serena Williams of the U.S. on Saturday, Sept. 8, to become the first Grand Slam singles champion from Japan. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) — Naomi Osaka’s victory in the U.S. Open has added her to a growing list of athletes, Nobel Prize winners, and beauty pageant contestants who have raised the issue of what it means to be Japanese.The daughter of a Japanese mother and a Haitian father, Osaka was born in Japan but raised in the United States. But she is being lauded in Japan as the first from the country to win a Grand Slam singles tennis title, which has upstaged most questions about her mixed background.Some children from mixed race families in Japan often get bullied and demeaned, called “hafu” — from the English word “half” — and are chided that they aren’t fully Japanese.Japan has embraced the 20-year-old Osaka, and she — despite barely speaking Japanese — talks fondly of her affection for her adopted country. But her victory also challenges public attitudes about identity in a homogeneous culture that is being pushed to change.“It is hard to say for sure if the extremely narrow conception, unconsciously or consciously, held by many Japanese of being Japanese, is being loosened,” Naoko Hashimoto, who researches national identify at the University of Sussex in England, wrote in an email to Associated Press.“In my opinion, it still appears that Japanese are generally defined as those who are born from a Japanese father and a Japanese mother, who speak perfect Japanese and ‘act like Japanese’.”Athletes and celebrities seem to fall into a different category. Osaka has lots of company in this realm with an increasing number of sports stars claiming mixed backgrounds.For instance:— Yu Darvish, the Chicago Cubs pitcher: son on a Japanese mother and Iranian father. Born in Osaka.— Mashu Baker, an Olympic gold-medal winner in judo: son of a Japanese mother and American father. Born in Tokyo.— Asuka Cambridge, Olympic silver-medal winner in the 4×100 track relay: born in Jamaica to a Japanese mother and Jamaican father, but grew up in Japan.— Abdul Hakim Sani Brown, track and field sprinter: son of a Japanese mother and Ghanaian father. Born in Tokyo.— Koji Murofushi, Olympic gold- and silver-medal winner in the hammer throw: son of a Romanian mother and Japanese father. Born and raised in Japan.Murofushi said he’s always felt Japanese.“I know that I have a mixed heritage,” he told AP. “But I always feel Japanese.” He added it’s “not something that really concerned me or anything.”The visibility of mixed-race athletes in Japan is sure to increase as the 2020 Tokyo Olympics approach and the country hunts for competitors in sports where it has little history.The reverse happened two years ago in the Rio de Janeiro Games, where Brazil found athletes with Japanese roots — more than 2 million Brazilians claim Japanese ancestry — to compete in non-Brazilian specialties.One thing is clear, Osaka is cashing in.The U.S. Open victory was worth $3.8 million in prize money. And on Thursday, Osaka was introduced in Japan as a “brand ambassador” for the Japanese car maker Nissan. It’s a three-year deal, though financial terms were not disclosed.Osaka defeated Williams in Saturday’s chaotic final . Forbes magazine reports that Williams is the highest earning female athlete with income of $18.1 million, almost all from endorsements and sponsorship deals. She’s topped the list for several years.But Osaka’s mixed-race profile, her appeal in the huge Asian market, and her links to Japan’s world-wide brands should drive her long-term earning potential.Osaka was asked if she’s a “new type of Japanese” — mixed race and representing three cultures.“For me, it’s just who I am,” she said. “When someone asks me a question like that, it really throws me off because then I really have to think about it. I don’t know. I don’t really think that I’m three separate — like mixes or whatever. I just think that I’m me.”Osaka said people tell her that she acts “kind of Japanese.” But she added: “I think my tennis is not very Japanese.”Jonathan Jensen, who researches sports marketing at the University of North Carolina, told AP by email that the size of the Nissan contact would depend on how much of her time the company uses. And how many tournaments — and what tournaments — she wins.“She seems very shy and it’s not for everyone,” Jensen wrote. “But the potential is there if that’s the route she wants to take, particularly with brands based in Asia, like Nissan. Tech firms and consumer electronics would also be a natural fit.”Osaka has charmed Japanese audiences with her grace and gentleness off the court, and her ferocity on it. She’s talked about her fondness for Japanese food — curried rice topped with a pork cutlet is a favorite.She’s also been a spokeswoman for two years for the Japanese cup noodle brand Nissin, which is launching a new noodle cup to commemorate her victory.Kazuyoshi Minowa, a spokesman for Windsor Corp, which operates tennis shops in Tokyo, said customers are asking to buy the same racket that Osaka uses. He said he met her two years ago when she visited a store.“My impression was that she was very quiet, unlike her powerful image playing the game,” he told Japanese broadcaster NHK.Questions about race also surfaced in 2016 when Priyanka Yoshikawa was crowned Miss World Japan. Her mother is Japanese and her father is Indian and she was born in Tokyo.This came a year after Ariana Miyamoto won the Miss Universe Japan title. She was born in Japan to a Japanese mother and African-American father.Hashimoto, the researcher at the University of Sussex, pointed out that under Japanese law, Osaka will have to decide on her nationality before she turns 22. She’s 20 now and cannot legally hold two passports.Hashimoto referenced three Nobel Prize winners born in Japan who eventually took other nationalities. The writer Kazuo Ishiguro holds a British passport, and scientists Yoichiro Nanbu and Shuji Nakamura both now hold American passports.She said the strict one-passport rule “could risk leading to brain drain of great talents out of Japan.”“While Naomi Osaka’s victory should be celebrated on its own,” Hashimoto said. “Her case provides those Japanese with a narrow conception of Japanese-ness with an excellent opportunity to rethink what it means to be Japanese.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, September 19, 2017 – Kingston – The Government has signed a contract with Surrey Paving and Aggregate Company Limited for the first package of improvement works to be undertaken on 4.8 kilometres of main road from Agualta Vale to Broadgate in St. Mary. The contract, which is valued at more than $597 million, is expected to begin in October and last for 14 months.The project, which is being implemented by the National Works Agency (NWA) forms part of plans to improve an overall 18.4 kilometres of main roadway from Tom’s River to Agualta Vale. The second phase, which involves 13.6 kilometres of main road from Broadgate to Tom’s River, will be undertaken over fiscal years.Works to be carried out on the Agualta Vale to Broadgate main road include construction of shoulders, provision of sidewalks, relocation of utilities, installation of road furniture and road traffic control devices and the construction of surface and subsurface drains. Construction of bridges and pavement upgrading are also to be carried out on the 28 parcels of lands that were acquired by the Government.Addressing the contract signing ceremony at the Office of the Prime Minister on September 15, Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, said the need to have the roadway repaired has long been expressed, having been proposed years ago. He said the project is being financed from the Capital ‘A’ budget, which is designated for Government of Jamaica-funded projects.The Prime Minister informed that the works will improve road safety and maneuverability by removing some of the deep curves in the roadway.“It will (also) increase mobility and reduce both travel time and transportation costs. The project will also resolve the drainage issues in the area while providing greater connectivity between the northern and southern highways of the country,” he said.The Prime Minister added that the project will have a positive effect on the long-term economic benefits on neighboring towns and communities, through the creation of employment directly related to the works.“At the end of the project, I expect the people of St. Mary and indeed Portland to say that their tax dollars were well spent,” he noted.Mr. Holness informed that the contract-signing is a tangible demonstration of the government’s commitment to using infrastructural works to bring improvements to the lives of the people. He indicated that the improvement works is but a “portion of the Government’s financial commitments to the parish of St. Mary”.Since April 2017, approximately one billion dollars has been spent on infrastructural works in St. Mary. They include river training, road patching, drainage improvements and the general rehabilitation of roads and bridges.Meanwhile, State Minister in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Hon. Everald Warmington, said the overall purpose of the project is to “reduce the fear and trepidation associated with travelling through the junction because of ravines and hair-pin curves”.“We intend to make the corridor far more reliable and intend to reduce travel times. These are all positives, which will redound to the benefit of not only those who live in St. Mary and Portland but to the entire country,” he said.Consultancy firm, Stanley Consultants will assist with supervision on the project, and signed a contract with the Government valued at $29.4 million for this undertaking.Release: JIS