Court acquits journalist who was hounded by intelligence officers

first_img to go further May 31, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court acquits journalist who was hounded by intelligence officers News SudanAfrica Sudan : Press freedom still in transition a year after Omar al-Bashir’s removal Receive email alerts April 6, 2020 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Faisal Mohammed Salih, a freelance journalist who had been harassed by the National Intelligence and Security Services ever since he criticized President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in an interview for Al-Jazeera on 24 April, was acquitted today on a charge of refusing to cooperate with the authorities.“We welcome the decision to acquit Salih on this trumped-up charge,” Reporters Without Borders said. “In Sudan, criticizing the government can have consequences for journalists, including acts of intimidation, arrest and criminal prosecutions. Journalists end up censoring themselves out of concern for their safety. The intelligence officers who harassed Salih should be punished.”After giving the Al-Jazeera interview, Salih was summoned to NISS headquarters every day for nearly two weeks and each time was made to wait for up to eight hours without being interrogated. Then he was jailed for six days until released on bail pending today’s trial before a criminal court in Khartoum.Agence France-Presse reported that, when announcing today’s verdict, the judge said he had taken account of the fact that the NISS had put his life in danger by refusing to give him food or water while making him wait for hours at a time each day.Salih is due to appear in court again on a different matter on 11 June.—–16.05.2012 – Freelance journalist released on bail, to face trialFreelance journalist Faisal Mohammed Salih was released on bail yesterday after being held for six days by the security forces in Khartoum. He is to be prosecuted on a charge of refusing to cooperate with the authorities under article 94 of the criminal code, which is punishable by a month in prison and a heavy fine.“Salih deserves a public apology from the Sudanese authorities for this constant harassment but instead they are keeping up the pressure by bringing criminal charges,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We call for the immediate withdrawal of the charges and for guarantees that he will be able to resume working without any further harassment.”He was arrested on 9 May after being made to report to the office of the National Intelligence and Security Services in Khartoum every day since 25 April and spend six to seven hours there each time without being interrogated. The harassment began after he criticized President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in an interview for Al-Jazeera on 19 April. —–10.05.2012 – Call for an end to harassment of detained journalist Faisal Mohamed SalihThe freelance journalist and human rights activist Faisal Mohamed Salih was arrested arbitrarily today in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum. The day before, he was held for eight hours at the office of the security forces where he was given nothing to eat or drink.Reporters Without Borders is outraged at the violence and pressure to which the journalist, a former editor of the newspaper Al-Adwa, has been subjected for almost two weeks.“We ask the Sudanese authorities to call a halt to such cruel intimidation, bordering on physical and psychological torture,” Reporters Without Borders said.“The aim of these repeated detentions is to push him to his limit and at the same time to prevent him from doing his job. We call for Faisal Mohamed Salih‘s immediate and unconditional release.”On 25 April, Salih was summoned to the office of the National Intelligence and Security Services in Khartoum where he was questioned by officers for several hours about critical comments he made about President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in an interview with Al-Jazeera on 19 April.The next day, he was once again called the NISS office and subsequently spent seven hours a day there every day, until his arrest, without being questioned and with no legal proceedings or judicial investigation being undertaken against him.“The constant harassment to which he has been subjected is further proof of the repressive attitude towards the press on the part of the Khartoum government, whose intention is to silence all dissident voices,” the press freedom organization added.On 22 and 24 April and 3 May, the intelligence service seized all copies of the opposition newspaper Al-Midan as soon as it had completed its print run. No clear reason was given.Besides preventing Sudanese citizens from being informed, this method of censorship causes severe financial losses for the media organizations concerned, which face a stark choice of self-censorship or closure.Photo: Faisal Mohammed Salih (Deutsche Welle/K.Danetzki) March 29, 2020 Find out more Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continentcenter_img RSF_en Help by sharing this information News April 10, 2020 Find out more Organisation SudanAfrica News Follow the news on Sudan Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africalast_img read more

South Carolina Senate passes bill outlawing most abortions

first_imgCOLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The South Carolina Senate has passed a bill that would outlaw almost all abortions in the state. The 30-13 vote Thursday overcomes years of hurdles thanks to Republican winning new seats in last year’s elections. The Senate vote is likely the final hurdle for the bill. It has passed the House easily in previous years and Gov. Henry McMaster has repeatedly said he will sign it as soon as he can. The measure requires doctors to use an ultrasound to try to detect a fetal heartbeat if they think pregnant women are at least eight weeks along. If a heartbeat is found, the abortion can’t take place.last_img read more

Indonesia’s first COVID-19 patient danced with infected Japanese woman before contracting virus

first_imgDepok mayor Mohammad Idris Abdul Shomad confirmed separately that the two residents had previously been admitted to Mitra Keluarga Hospital on Feb. 27, where they were suspected of suffering from bronchitis. The two left the hospital on Feb. 29 as they were referred to the RSPI.“On [Sunday], we immediately conducted a thorough check-up on the women […] The daughter is now in a good condition, she only coughs occasionally,” Terawan said after visiting the patients, adding that none of the women had complained about any shortness of breath or fever – known symptoms of COVID-19 — while being treated at the hospital.A statement from Case 1 obtained by The Jakarta Post on Wednesday said that she received a call not from the Japanese patient, whom she did not know, but from her friend in Malaysia who learned about the Japanese patient’s contact history from Malaysian authorities.Case 1 also said that she had attended a dance event at a restaurant in Menteng, Central Jakarta, on Feb. 15, not at a club in Kemang on Feb. 14.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced earlier on Monday that two Indonesians had tested positive for COVID-19, the first two confirmed cases of the disease in the country, after Terawan reported about the tests following the government’s efforts to trace the individuals who had been in contact with the Japanese patient.Terawan said the investigation would now focus on tracking down individuals who had recently come in close contact with the confirmed COVID-19 patients, including the Japanese woman.Read also: BREAKING: Three people in Singapore latest to test positive for COVID-19 after visiting Indonesia“We’ve been checking everything, we’re tracking our leads,” Terawan said, adding that the contact tracing was particularly to find those who had had close contact with the patients.He suggested that those who happened to have passed by the patients were not automatically in danger.The announcement on Monday has added Indonesia to the list of coronavirus-hit countries after the archipelago has claimed zero confirmed cases for almost two months since the virus first emerged from the Chinese city of Wuhan in late December.The global death toll from COVID-19 soared pass 3,000 on Monday as the virus has now infected more than 89,000 people and spread to more than 60 countries to date, AFP reported.Terawan further conveyed his optimism regarding the situation in the country, saying that the Health Ministry was confident that the coronavirus could be dealt with immediately.“Coronavirus is not an extraordinarily terrifying object. It’s the news that makes it scary,” Terawan said. (mrc/rfa)Editor’s note: This story has been updated to add the patient’s statement about how she came into contact with the Japanese patient.Topics : “On Feb. 16, [the patient] coughed a lot, so she went to a hospital and returned home immediately afterward. She then asked on Feb. 26 to be hospitalized because her coughing hadn’t stopped. On Feb. 28, she received a call from her Japanese friend that [the latter] was being hospitalized in Malaysia after having tested positive for coronavirus,” Terawan said in a press conference at the RSPI on Monday afternoon.The 41-year-old Japanese woman was Malaysia’s 24th coronavirus patient, and had tested positive for coronavirus on Feb. 27 after traveling from Japan in January and to Indonesia in early February, according to the Malaysian Health Ministry on Friday.Read also: Let’s not kid ourselves. Indonesia is unlikely to be COVID-19-free. And that’s not our biggest problem.Terawan said the 31-year-old patient and her mother — who allegedly contracted the virus from her daughter — had both been admitted to a private hospital where they were “treated as patients under supervision” for coronavirus concerns before the two were admitted to the RSPI and tested for COVID-19 on Sunday. One of two Indonesians who have tested positive for coronavirus in Jakarta went dancing with her Japanese friend — now COVID-19 patient in Malaysia — weeks before the two citizens were declared the country’s first two confirmed coronavirus cases, according to authorities.Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto detailed on Monday the chronology of the 31-year-old coronavirus patient’s movement before she and her 64-year-old mother, both of whom are residents of Depok in West Java, were admitted to the isolation ward at Sulianti Saroso Infectious Diseases Hospital (RSPI Sulianti Suroso) in Jakarta.According to the minister’s account, the 31-year-old patient, who worked as a dance coach, met with the Japanese woman in a club in Jakarta, where the two were dancing together on Feb. 14.last_img read more

Prime Minister Harris of St. Kitts and Nevis applauds HIV treatment…

first_imgAn indication of the progress made in reducing new cases of HIV includes the validation by the World Health Organization (WHO) that St. Kitts and Nevis, as well as five other Caribbean islands, has successfully eliminated mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis. The strides made in the Caribbean region in reducing the number of new cases of HIV, and the steps taken towards the elimination of Mother-to-Child Transmission (EMTCT) of HIV and syphilis were highlighted recently during a high-level World AIDS Day Regional event at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort.That meeting was organized by UNAIDS in collaboration with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and the Pan Caribbean Partnership Against HIV/AIDS (PANCAP) and the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis.Validation by WHOAn indication of the progress made in reducing new cases of HIV includes the validation by the World Health Organization (WHO) that St. Kitts and Nevis, as well as five other Caribbean islands, has successfully eliminated mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis.St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister, Dr. Timothy Harris, said at present, there are just under 300 persons living with HIV/AIDS in the Federation.Dr. Harris stated, “Their prospects are far different from what would have been, in a by-gone era when an HIV diagnosis meant certain death, or even during the period when HIV medicines were so expensive that only a few individuals had access to them.”Treatment doubled in six yearsWith respect to access to HIV treatment, Prime Minister Harris, who also serves as CARICOM’s Lead Head with Responsibility for Human Resources, Health and HIV, noted that the number of people on treatment in the region has more than doubled between 2000 and 2016.Furthermore, Dr. Harris said his Government is cognizant of the fact that greater emphasis on the prevention of HIV, as well as increased efforts in treatment is important in achieving the sustainable development goal to end AIDS by 2030.Committed to further improving treatment“The Ministry of Health in St. Kitts and Nevis is committed to scaling up treatment to ensure that people living with HIV are able to stay healthy and alive,” the prime minister said.St. Kitts and Nevis is amongst the OECS Member States that has signed on to eliminate HIV by 2030, using the UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets which state that by 2020, 90 percent of all people living with HIV will know their HIV status; 90 percent of all people with diagnosed HIV infection will receive sustained antiretroviral therapy, and 90 percent of all people receiving antiretroviral therapy will have viral suppression.“Our challenge is to quicken the pace while ensuring that no one is left behind. We have a small window of opportunity remaining to close several gaps,” said Prime Minister Harris.last_img read more